These days, CIOs and other information technology leaders find their roles changing, yet staying the same.
With the increasing dependence on technology in many industry sectors like manufacturing, IT leaders are often the ones companies expect to lead company transformation. This expectation is driving increasing needs for speed, agility, and innovation in information technology departments. At the same time, IT leaders need to manage the current organization while juggling tight budgets, manpower shortages, and outdated technologies.
This conundrum is actually driving the need for CIOs to truly transform their roles in the business organization. Most IT leaders try to improve their company’s IT structure as they can. Some may play an influential role when it comes to technology-related decisions being made by other business leaders. However, true IT leaders need to move past the roles of being an improver and an influencer. They need to take the role of a transformer.
What Does the Role of Transformer Do for a Company?
- A transformer makes it easier for the company to move into new markets.
- A transformer makes it possible for the company to adopt a new business model.
- A transformer influences strategic decisions made by all business segments.
- A transformer takes a leadership role in investigating and integrating new technologies beneficial to the company.
- A transformer leads a fast, agile, innovative, and responsive information technology department.
The role of transformer is not always natural for a CIO. With so much pressure to do more with less, the priorities are often focused on just keeping things running day-to-day. However, the smart CIO will make the move into the transformer role sooner than later.